ANSU’s Itanagar Bandh passes off peacefully, paralyses normal life

ITANAGAR, The 12-hour Itanagar capital region bandh called by All Nyishi Students’ Union (ANSU)  paralysed normal life in Itanagar capital complex on Tuesday and two  vehicles were burnt near the civil secretariat.

In response to a query by media persons,  the ANSU president Nabam Dodum said that the incident was very unfortunate and unintentional.

“More than a thousand students were waiting for the Chief Secretary in front of the Civil Secretariat, and demanding that he go home. But the secretary delayed in responding for several hours and replied through the capital DC Talo Potom. After waiting 2 to 3 hours, the students got irritated and some of them did that; the chief secretary is completely responsible for the inconvenience,” Nabam Dodum added.

A few incidents of tyre burning and damage of vehicles were also reported from some parts of the capital complex.

One Scorpio and another government bus were damaged, informed Capital police chief Jimmy Chiram.

The bandh was called from 5 am to 5 pm.

During the bandh the roads of the capital complex including National Highway 415 wore a deserted look as commercial and private vehicles kept off the roads.

Major business establishments, financial institutions, petrol pumps, shopping malls, markets complex, etc., remained closed.

The general public of the capital complex supported the bandh call and stayed at home.

During the bandh the ANSU team allowed medical emergencies to be attended and UGC-NET, CBSE-term 1 and other competitive examinations to be held as per their previous decision.

Bandh supporters were on roads shouting slogans, “ANSU Long Live, Hamaree maange puri karo, Niharika Rai go back”, etc.

ANSU’s two demands were immediate transfer of present commissioner (Education), Niharika Rai from the State and immediate dropping of the criminal case against  team ANSU.

Dodum responding to a newsperson’s query as to what steps next the organisation would take, said that they had not yet taken any decision but after a meeting they would announce their next steps through the media.

Leave a Comment